Tuesday, January 29, 2013

my journey.

I am about to embark on a great adventure. No kidding. This Friday around 7PM I will be leaving the country not to return for seven whole months. This post is to describe what I'll be doing and how I came to this point... I don't blame you if you already know this stuff and don't want to read it all :) Please skip to the bottom for prayer requests, though!

First I will be studying abroad in Ireland. I'll be living in Greystones, staying in a YWCA across the street from the Irish Sea and rooming with two of my best friends. We will have a group of ~32 students, about a third of them are guys (pretty good compared to past trips) and about a third of the group comes from schools other than Taylor. We will all take the same classes as it is a Taylor-run program, and they will all be for General Education credit (for example, Celtic Christianity, Irish Drum and Dance, Irish History, etc.). Our semester duration is February 1-May 10.

Why did I choose Ireland? Well, I almost didn't. At one point I had my mind made up to go to Uganda and live with a host family in a hut, because I knew it would be the most challenging thing I've ever done. Yet I changed my mind back to Ireland, even though I felt somewhat selfish. Was it ok for me to choose the option that would be the more comfortable, extravagant, fun, and expensive choice? I can't exactly tell you why I changed my mind. I guess I feared if I didn't take this chance to go to Europe for an extended period of time I'd never go. But since my decision I have become confident that it was not the wrong choice. I'm not sure if I believe there was a right or wrong. I think as long as I am in God's hand, relying on him and seeking him he will either give clear direction or the peace that he will bless whatever option I choose, and I believe that is the case. God has since given me confirmation after confirmation of his blessing on this trip and that he is going to use it to teach, grow, and stretch me greatly.

But wait, why did I say I'd be gone seven months if I'll only be in Ireland for four? I'm going to Turkey to be an au pair! (That's like a nanny from abroad for those of you who don't know like I didn't.) The organization I'm going through is called InterExchange. It is a secular organization that is very reputable for being well-established and well-run in arranging work/volunteer abroad opportunities such as their au pair program. I chose Turkey because it was my only option, really, due to language requirements/not having summer programs in other countries. Basically the organization takes my application information and screens, interviews, and visits families to try and find me a good match. I am just now submitting my application but I am basically automatically accepted, so now I'm waiting for them to begin the family search!

Anyways, when I first found this website I thought it sounded cool but didn't expect anything to come of it. Then that night I met someone at Taylor who told me she was from Turkey because her parents were missionaries there and had been there for decades! I thought the timing of that was interesting and talked to her about the opportunity. Then from then on every single person I talked to about the opportunity was immediately supportive (including, amazingly, my dear parents) and every single detail has fallen into place! It got to the point where because of the way it was all working out I didn't feel I could turn down the opportunity if I wanted to, because God's hand was so clearly involved! I also must mention that I inquired about at least 15 other summer opportunities before this and none of them were amounting to anything. Praise God he helped me hold off until this one came up!

That was a lot of explaining. I could go on and on but I suppose that's enough for now. I'm mostly going to use this blog for pictures and my own record of all that I do, but I'm also going to post prayer requests for any of you praying people who may read this time to time!

Please pray for:
1. Preparation emotionally, physically, and spiritually for me and the whole group as we prepare to leave in just a few days.
2. Safety in travels to Chicago, then to Dublin.
3. Easy, natural adjustments to life in Ireland. That the effects of culture shock and homesickness would be minor.
4. That I would get the $1500 Working Abroad Grant I'm applying to for Turkey! These flights and program fee really add up and I could really use the help! I should find out whether I get it within a month.

3 comments:

  1. Love the blog and am excited to stay updated on your travels! Adding to my Google Reader. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sending us this link! We are so excited for you and look forward to following along, here! Praying for you each step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you Cassandra, and your whole group. May God guide your steps and work through you!! Have fun - we'll try to keep your mom occupied here while your gone!!
    Love and prayers,
    Sue Grieser

    ReplyDelete