Thursday, February 7, 2013

I've seen Him.


“I see his blood upon the rose
And in the stars the glory of his eyes,
His body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.
               
I see his face in every flower;
The thunder and the singing of the birds
Are but his voice – and carven by his power
Rocks are his written words.

All pathways by his feet are worn,
His strong heart stirs the ever-beating sea,
His crown of thorns is twined with every thorn,
His cross is every tree."
Joseph Mary Plunkett 

    I read this poem in a book I'm reading for class called How the Irish Saved Civilization. It struck me as a beautiful verse and extremely fitting for the creation I have been blessed to explore the past few days, and especially yesterday at Glendalough, which is the most beautiful place I have ever been (at least in my memory). Glendalough is a monastic city that began with St. Kevin who went there originally intending to be a hermit, but he gained a reputation through miracles and it became an ecclesiastical community as people followed him. Over time Glendalough became considered one of the four most important pilgrimage sites in Ireland. Glendalough was also a place of legal sanctuary where hospitality was highly valued and women allowed to be leaders. Not only the Bible was studied there but also music, art, literature, etc. (my trip leader likes to say this was the start of the liberal arts, ha).

  It was FREEZING.
But it didn't matter... we were blessed with a clear and BEAUTIFUL day.

First glimpses.
 






















 

Beginning the hiking... can you imagine living in one of these houses?
 
 The trail.







It was an amazing place, to say the least. Thankfully we will get to return in April when it is warmer and will do a longer hike. I thoroughly enjoyed Glendalough, but after I left and reflected on the time there I wished I had gotten to take more time to hike alone and be prayerful in silence. This would have been more like what it was originally "used" for also. We were put in groups for hiking and the talking, overwhelming beauty, and drive to take pictures was somewhat distracting I think. I look forward to future trips when I can learn from this and take these opportunities to connect even more with the Father through His creation in prayer and meditation as we go.

We serve an AMAZING God. Just look at what He's made for us to enjoy.

In other news, I'm doing very well. I mean, how could I not be, really? We have started class now as one of our professors is here for a short amount of time. I guess that is how it will be for the most part... when a professor comes we have days of nearly endless class until he/she leaves. I feel like my sleeping patterns are still not completely adjusted and I'm tired a lot, but that's really my only complaint. The facilities are wonderful, the food is incredible (maybe too good! we have two cooks, one of whom was a cook for a really nice restaurant previously), and I am thoroughly enjoying getting to know people in our group little by little. Interestingly, the most common majors among us are Psychology, Art, and English/Writing. One thing that is stretching me already is just the need for flexibility with scheduling. We often don't know what time classes/trips are or how long they're going to go, and every single day is different. But it's definitely really good for me and in a way it's really nice!

Hearing from some of you has been extremely fun and encouraging! I truly appreciate your prayers and encouragement immensely! Thanks so much and I love you all very much!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cassandra. Just thought I'd drop you a little note and let you know I continue to pray for you. How blessed you are indeed to be able to participate in this incredible journey. I pray you can fully adjust to the change in your schedule and sleep patterns, and I look forward to your future posts. Good health and God's continued blessings for you and your fellow classmates!
    Love
    Sue Grieser

    ReplyDelete