Sunday, June 23, 2013

my host family and a turkish wedding

I was very eager to finally meet the mother and children I would be spending my summer with; they arrived Thursday afternoon and it has been going wonderfully with them ever since! Ella accepted me as her new friend almost immediately, and I really enjoy playing with her. We go to a nearby playground often and as it gets warmer we will also swim in their pool a lot. She is a sweet and charming little girl :) I have also enjoyed getting to know her mother, Begum, a whole lot! She is very easy to talk to and we can relate to one another well.We will hopefully be settling into a bit more of a routine as they all recover from jet lag. It will be roughly me playing with Ella from 9-12, incorporating hopefully some preschool-aged study books, then I'll be off 12-3 and can have lunch on my own time, then from 3-8:30 I will care for her again, feeding her dinner, bathing her, and putting her to bed. My host mother explained more to me about why this summer it is imperative Ella keeps up her English - in NYC schools are continuations throughout middle and high school from the elementary school they are placed in at the very beginning, so Ella's placement and the evaluations that will take place early next fall will be very influential on basically the rest of her schooling. If she would enter into school with weakened English (as it has declined after past summers of speaking almost exclusively Turkish in Turkey), it could really hinder her long-term. My host mother has a very good perspective, not wanting to fret too much over it or put a lot of pressure on Ella, but she also wants to be proactive, which I think is very good. This is what led them to think of the option of having an au pair, and that is where I come in! Am I ever grateful!!!


We took a trip to the mall so I could get a dress for their relative's wedding (they were so sweet to include me in coming along!) and ate at a place called Shake Shack, a quickly spreading restaurant that began in NYC (a place Ella loves).

Sweet Ella on the swing

I had the privilege today of attending a Turkish wedding of my host mother's cousin. It was very different than the kinds of weddings I am used to, for sure! It was a civil service (their reception/party will be held on another night and go all night long - I will be staying with the kids :). We went to their house and sat in the garden as the bride and groom walked in together (Ella was the flower girl going ahead of them, but there were no bridesmaids/groomsmen, etc.) to the house with the screen wall open so we can all see them. They sat at a table with a politician actually who asked them a couple of questions and then they signed the paperwork and were married! We all clapped and then sat around talking and having hors devours for several hours (me sitting to the side, not wanting Begum to feel she had to translate every part of her conversations to me, and entertaining Ella). I felt quite out of my element; I was reminded of Princess Diaries when Mia goes to her first dinner thing and has no clue how she is supposed to act, only thank goodness I was not the center of attention like she was in the movie! Ha! However, it was a very enjoyable and interesting time! I am very grateful to them for including me because it was a great cross-cultural experience for sure, as well!

Me with my little Ella, the flower girl

Ella loves ants. She sat here a long time watching them, and then "cried" when she accidentally smooshed one :)

Finally, this is my host grandmother, host mother, me, and little Ella.

So, I am still enjoying myself immensely here and learning so much! I've learned a few Turkish words now, though the language is very difficult for me to remember. Ella is helping me. :) I am also loving the food, having some really great intentional conversations with the family members, and really trying to devote myself to prayer for each one. I really pray they can see the light of Christ in me and I can share more about my relationship with Him! It's late and I can't think what else to say right now, but I guess a shorter post might be welcomed :) More soon!

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Cassandra! As I sit here in my kitchen reading your blog I am so in awe of everything you are experiencing! It really sounds like you are having a wonderful time while growing a lot and learning so much as well! I can't wait to read more of your upcoming adventures! I will be praying for you, love you sooo much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabriela, thanks for taking the time to read my blog and be in on what all I'm up to :) You are definitely right - this is a huge time of being challenged and of growth for me! Thanks so much for your prayers and I SO look forward to the next time we can meet up! Love you lots and lots!

      Delete