Wednesday, July 17, 2013

dolmabahçe palace and some sweetness.

Maiden's Tower. This tower is on an island. According to legend, a sultan had a most beloved daughter he kept here because of a prophesy that on her 18th birthday a snake would bite her and she would die. Unfortunately, though she was locked away, someone gave her a basket of fruit for her 18th birthday and a snake hiding in it bit her and she died anyway. :(

This is no set up. Istanbul is famous for its cats. There are stray cats everywhere, truly. I have seen them in nearly every (if not every) historical site I've been to, often even inside buildings wandering where they don't belong, but the community generally likes them and many individuals take it upon themselves to put some food out for the strays now and then. There are also stray dogs, but not nearly as many.

Lovin' the kitty pool (or is it kiddie?) :)

On my day off this week I visited Dolmabahce Palace. This was the tower outside.

Me in front of the entrance gate.


Stunning gardens in the courtyard...


And this is the front of the palace.

Another side gate

Ah, just the gate to the seaside.


Unfortunately, no pictures were allowed to be taken inside. This palace was completely different than other places I've been here, because it is all in European style. The palace was inhabited by six sultans and the last caliph, from 1856-1924. Also, the famous Ataturk stayed here for 4 years after the foundation of the Republic (his bedroom and bathroom were included in the tour.) I saw a chandelier that weighed over 4 tons, which was pretty crazy. The extravagance and my thoughts about the expense of it all made me feel sick... it was really something though.

Ending with a picture of sweetness. This is Mutharam, Denis's Turkish nanny with whom I spend much of my days. She is incredible with these two, an excellent example to me of neverending patience and love. Both kids prefer her to me most of the time, but I don't feel badly because she has motherly experience and a motherly bond with them I cannot attempt to attain. :) I always wish we could talk so that I could get to know her better, but we can only communicate through Ella or through motioning to each other, which can be quite amusing for both of us. She is most kind to me regardless, and has also blessed me with a couple of motherly hugs and constant smiles and winks :)

Time is speeding by. I have but two full weeks left. How did this happen? Saturday I leave for Bodrum for vacation with the family, where I will play in the sand and the sea for a week. Then I have one more week with the kids here in Istanbul before they leave. I've made a Turkish friend who came to church with me on Sunday. What?! Yes. How cool is that? Please pray for more opportunities...

Thanks thanks thanks for your prayers and your love. I love you all!

1 comment:

  1. I've loved reading all your adventures and continuing to keep up with you while you have been away! I cant believe I'll get to see you again in a little over week! -cannot wait to catch up! Make sure you save an afternoon or evening for me while I'm in Pettisville! haa! love you soo much!

    ReplyDelete