Wednesday, September 18, 2013

transition

    My blog is taking a turn, just like my life. :) I am now in the middle of my fourth week back at Taylor University as a Junior and things are starting to pick up. I'm not overloaded by any means course-wise, which is really nice. In fact, I've had to check myself from getting caught in guilt for not being more busy. Here at Taylor there are unlimited opportunities for involvement in wonderful cabinets, groups, clubs, jobs, and leadership positions... I've been asked "So what leadership positions do you have? Are Chorale and Sounds your only commitments!?" There's a lot of expectation to be busy and to be involved in as much as possible.

    Here's my current life summary: International Studies major, Peace Reconciliation and Justice concentration, possibly Psych minor. Taylor Chorale and Taylor Sounds - ministries of choral music. Breuninger Hall front desk worker; hired to work catering as well. Floor worship leader, soon to help with worship at church occasionally, and hope to have a voice lesson every other week. I go to Exit 59 church (Missionary Alliance) Sunday mornings as I did last year, and have begun attending Kingdom Life Church (non-denominational, I believe) on Sunday evenings, where God has rocked me each of my 3 attendances thus far... more on that later.

  I'll say more about my regular life periodically, I am sure. But here's where I want this blog to go for now...

    One of the greatest blessings I am experiencing in this part of my life is consistent, solid, convicting, encouraging, and challenging spiritual food. Between chapel services and church services along with my personal devotional times, I feel like I am filled to overflowing with things the Lord is revealing to me about Himself and His Word. I actually have to be careful not to overstimulate in the sense that I receive so much truth that I don't end up processing or applying any of it. So I want to share some of these things on my blog. Whether with you, or for my own sake - processing now, remembering later, I'm going to try it out. :)

    It will take me some time to get out all the nuggets of truth I've received so far, but here's a bit to begin. Three Sundays ago at Kingdom Life Church the pastor, James Heth, talked about this passage:

"But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship. Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba, Father.” So you are no longer a slave, but God’s child; and since you are his child, God has made you also an heir." Galatians 4:4-7

    He began to talk about how imperfect relationships can affect our relationship with God, keeping us from seeing Him as a perfect Father with abundant love for us that we don't have to earn. He began praying and pretty soon I was in tears. Soon I had three people around me praying for me. Though they couldn't hear one another for the most part, they were all praying the same things and they were all spot-on! Definitely led by the Spirit. Pretty soon they were praying that God would break down my striving and performance because I don't earn His love and that I would stop focusing on doing, and rather focus on being, in light of my identity as His daughter. They prayed I'd know how much He delights in me and how proud of me He is; how beautiful I am to Him. They got straight to the root of my struggle with legalism even though they knew nothing about it, and I felt so strongly the personal love of the Father to communicate through them just exactly what I needed to hear! I struggle a lot with feeling His love and affirmation, so I fall into striving to live my life well enough to think I deserve it. But according to this passage (and plenty of others - I never realized how many passages talk about our sonship!) I have been adopted out of slavery and made his CHILD and HEIR. What did I do to earn this? NOTHING! I just need to learn how to receive it and live out this new identity :D

    I came away from this night so encouraged, and so in awe. It almost didn't happen - one girl going with me backed out and the other was sick in the afternoon... she came with me anyway and she felt totally fine once she was there! I'm realizing more and more that Satan will do anything to keep us from truth and freedom. I'm determined more than ever to recognize and combat his every attempt!

    There's much more to this story, but this is just a summary of the beginnings of this journey He is taking me on. Praise the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment